In particular, I liked having titles above page navigation and the colour balance I settled up. But other things just made me run away.
I started with Franklin's basic template as I knew it could be made rather beautiful from experience with peacefounder.org and adopted some good ideas I could find on the internet. In particular, I got inspired by card design:
which was fluid and offered a remedy for avoiding spending hours/days condensing my previous work experience into two sentences if I had written that on the side. A problem, though, was that it did not look as good with light images, and I spent the first two days making it look as it is now.
In modifying the template, I got a little traction on how to get CSS layout work for me. Although most of the time, it still does not, and I resort to hammering with everything I can find on StackExchange there. I wish I could have done this in QML instead, but I see the appeal of CSS to support drastically different screen sizes with the same HTML.
The second part was to modify the Franklin basic template:
Although it looks pretty discouraging from the beginning, the CSS file from Franklin is quite structured. The important part is that Franklin already comes in with
katex.js for mathematical formulas and styles them decently. Also, this template comes with adapting layout depending on the screen size; thus, I could immediately look in on how it is done, modify some values here and there and take inspiration from the internet. I get the look I want, and you are looking at.
A pretty cool thing with Franklin is that I can generate dynamic content with Julia, which I know quite well. For instance, I can now list all my blog items in sorted order and discard those which are tagged as invisible with a simple method:
buffer = IOBuffer()
for info in get_blog_items()
if !("invisible" in info.tags)
item_html = item2html(info)
and insert that in the markdown easily with the following:
which is pretty neat. It is also possible to have arguments to this function in which I use a particular blog item by giving a filename or listing multiple posts with a specific tag which is terrific.
To conclude, updating this website has again become fun. Perhaps it is the future I could explore by adding a taglist or finding a nonobstructive place for socials, but for now, I am happy with what I made that burdened me in thought in the last few years. The feeling of having a roadblock has started to settle in me. I guess we will see some new blog posts here in the future :)